Gator Bowl

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Year's Day came early as we PLANNED to leave our hotel by 8:00 am to welcome the team into the stadium.  As I finished my shower around 6:30 completely slit-eyed, my mom came in our room and suggested we wait to leave around 10.  Woo hoo!  Don't get me wrong.  I would have LOVED to welcome our team in, but I always hate when I have to wake up my sleeping beauty and get everything together and out the door before her normal wake up time.  I was trying hard not to be the party pooper or the reason we couldn't participate in anything.  Crisis averted!

Mama/Daughter Game Day!
We loaded our car and headed to the stadium dressed in True Maroon from head to toe.  Kristin even had our Bulldog New Year's head pieces ready.  Such creativity she has!  It was a beautifully sunny day in Jacksonville with the highs in the mid-70s.  The sun was bright, and I quickly lathered my fair complected babe in sunscreen when we got to our seats.

Kristin, me, and Millie Janalee
After a trip for snacks, drinks, and lunch...it was GAME TIME!  Millie Janalee donned her favorite hot pink Bulldog earphones as the cowbells began to ring.  We borrowed Paw Paw's cap for a little scalp protection, and she was ready to cheer!


Our pregame surprise was SOOO Mississippi!  Northwestern probably didn't have a clue what was going on!  Ha!  Dale Earnhardt Jr. drove onto the field in his #88 car before the coin toss.  Aaaannnd the Mississippi State fans go wild!  Especially Lee!

NASCAR!
The first half of this game left something to be desired.  In fact, it was pretty bad.  This group never shies away from a challenge...or a chance to ring our cowbells!  We cheered.  We yelled.  We gasped.  We covered our eyes.  We cheered some more.

Kristin and Lee
We worked hard to try and help our team stop a run or to get them over the goal line.  Millie Janalee, on the other hand, decided to take a little rest in hopes that the second half proved to be a much better game.

Snoozing in the shade
Unhappy Susu and sleepy Millie Janalee
I would definitely say that Mississippi State fans outnumbered Northwestern's fans, but they were still pretty loud.  After the third or fourth interception, we were all making noises.  It may not have been the most happy noises.  We were OFF our game.  Like, bad off.  During the first half, Coach Mullen sent Tyler Russell into the locker room telling him to untie his shoes, wash his face, tie his shoes back, and come back fresh ready to start over.  I wish it had worked.

My view...Hahaha!
The score actually looks better than the actual game.  We lost 34-20 with four or five interceptions and a defense that just couldn't stop the Wildcats.  We were disappointed for sure.  But never sorry to be a Bulldog.

Happy New Year from the Smiths
You gotta be tough to be a Bulldog.  And we're pretty tough!

Millie Janalee's first bowl game
I do hate that Millie Janalee's bowl game turned out to be such a dud.  I've never been to a bowl game that we haven't won, so I was pretty deflated too.  She kinda felt like the rest of us as we loaded into the car after the game...


So in the words of Dan Mullen..."Untie your shoes, wash your face, tie your shoes" and eat Cheesecake Factory!  That's exactly what we did!  What better way to cure the blues than with a yummy dinner and a ginormous piece of cheesecake!?

Brick Peppermint Cheesecake
The rest of our evening consisted of laying around the hotel watching the Orange Bowl, playing with Millie Janalee, and leaving the Gator Bowl at that stadium.


When life hands you losses...have a party and forget it!

Oh, and go home!
post signature

2 comments:

Joy said...

Soooo cute. Love the hats, the smiles on Millie Janalee's face and the fan that no matter what... we're bulldawgs all the way!!!

Marcie said...

It cracks me up how she will wear those headphones and how she will sleep anywhere!