Solids and High Chair FUN!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013


2013 brought another fun experience!  We pulled out Millie Janalee's high chair that our hometown church nursery staff gave us when she was born.  I put it together by myself.  Just sticking that in there as a little pat on the back for myself.  Ha!  We couldn't wait to see how she reacted to sitting so high up.


She loved it!  We put the tray on and stared at this baby...who all of a sudden looked like a big girl!  Oh my!  We let her play a little while, bang on the tray, and we added her little tea set for a little extra fun.  Russ took part in his first of MANY tea parties to come, I'm sure.


Millie Janalee watched intently as he poured the tea into his teacup and took a polite sip.  All with his pinky finger extended like a nice young lady.  Haha!  It was too cute.  Yes, we got this on video.  I'm sure it will be a treasured moment as this little lady grows.  Her very first tea party with Daddy in her new high chair.  Sweet memories!


The reason we pulled out the high chair?  It is time for solids!  The doctor actually gave us the go ahead at her four month appointment, but he also told us to take our time.  So we did.  Ha!  I alluded to the Baby Bullet system Santa brought Millie Janalee for Christmas.  I have been excited about this.  I know baby food can be made with regular kitchen appliances, but to be honest...I don't even know if we own a food processor or if it's in storage.  Ha!  We don't cook much around here.  Plus, I was so glad to have everything laid out for me complete with instructions on every food, a steamer, baby food cups, two sizes of food processors, two types of blades, freezer trays, etc.

Batchbowl, small cup, both blades, spatula, and freezer tray
We decided to start with bananas for a couple of reasons.  First, who doesn't like bananas?  I was pretty sure she would like them.  And, secondly, it was a low allergy risk food.  So I began!  I looked in my "cookbook," and saw that one banana and 1/4 cup of water will make 8 ounces of baby food.  It literally takes 10 seconds to make them, so I made 16 ounces.  Just for fun.

Ready to make bananas with the small cup!
Baby cups...2 ounces each
I put the water in the small cup, and broke the banana into smaller pieces to fit in the small cup.  Then, I pureed the banana for 10 seconds.  That was it!  Spoon into the baby cups, refrigerate or freeze, and serve!  The refrigerated foods last 3 days, and the frozen cups last 30 days.  I've made bananas and pears (2 different days of a couple minutes worth of time) and we've been eating them for three weeks.  Sounds easy enough for me!  And it's pretty cheap.  And I know exactly what she's eating.  I'm NOT an anti-processed food person, but I do feel pretty good about what we are doing right now.  As I was reading, I saw that jarred baby food has a 3 year shelf life.  The only way that is possible is if there is something added to it, and if the food was heated to such a temperature so that no bacteria can survive.  So, much of the nutrition has probably been heated out of the food as well.  I'm sure we will use jarred baby food...because, let's be honest, it's not easy to travel with homemade food.  I tried it this week.  It worked, but we may not be able to do it every time.  I do, however, know what Millie Janalee is eating most of the time.  And I feel good about it.

Bananas...ready to be pureed!
10 seconds for 8 ounces
Banana puree
Baby cups complete with dials to mark the date made
Spooning it in
Ready to eat!
12 ounces in the freezer...That's 12-24 servings
The first time we tried bananas, I was alone and did my best to take pictures of it.  I hate I missed her face the first time she tasted it!  It was hilarious!!  I guess it was a little sour, because she made a sour face.  Once she got used to the fun taste, she devoured it!  And is now eating 2 ounces at a time in the afternoon.  We eat one ounce of oatmeal and one ounce of fruit in the morning. 

"Oooooooh...what is that!?"
"Hmmm...this is different."
"Yummy!"
"More please!"
I love our solid feeding times, because we can interact so much!  I love seeing her smiles and watching her ask for more.  She moans while she's eating like saying, "Mmmm. Mmmm. So good, Mama!"  I imagine she's saying, "Thank you!"


After our breakfast, she is such a happy baby.  She is also stuffed and sleepy, so we go down for a nap almost immediately after.  Such a sweet baby!

"That was good, Mama!"
"I'm ready for a nap now."
So, there you have it.  We've entered into homemade baby foods, and we are loving it!  Making foods once a week or so, and we have food for days!  Sounds pretty easy enough for me!  How is it possible that this sweet girl is old enough for baby food?!  Where does the time go!?
post signature

2 comments:

Joy said...

Such a fun experience!! And I think it's great you can make her food.

B said...

I made most all our baby food. I done know how many baby cups the baby bullet comes with, but if you start needing more storage when she's a little older ice cube trays work great. Freeze and then throw them in a ziplock. I made food about once every 3-4 weeks once we got to eating more variety.