Gatlinburg Trip Part 1

Thursday, February 28, 2013


Last week, Millie Janalee and I joined most of my family for another Gatlinburg vacation.  In case you haven't noticed, Millie Janalee and I don't miss many opportunities for a road trip!  She's such a great traveler, and I always enjoy her company!


On our first full day in Gatlinburg, we celebrated Millie Janalee's seventh month of life with a yummy breakfast at Pancake Pantry in downtown Gatlinburg.  If you have ever gone to Gatlinburg and not eaten at Pancake Pantry at least once...if not multiple times...I cannot even know you!  Unless, of course, you promise to eat there on your next visit.  There is no comparison to the Pancake Pantry in Nashville.  That is what I call the "faux Pancake Pantry."  The real Pancake Pantry is and always has been in Gatlinburg, where it originated.  One of our waitresses (because we ate there three times) had been there for 10 years...and that makes her one of the "new girls."  I love that!  If you ever need suggestions on what to order, we can probably help you out.  I get the Silver Dollar Pancakes or the Swiss Chocolate Chip Pancakes.  My mom loves the Peach Delight.  My sister always orders some healthier version of a pancake...which she swears is delicious.  My dad and Russ rarely order the same thing twice, so they are obviously not very picky.  As a child, our favorite was Bears in the Snow...pancakes shaped like teddy bears covered in powdered sugar with buttons made out of M&Ms.  We later learned only children can order those.  My sister was mildly devastated.  All that to say...it's one of our favorites and a MUST for every Gatlinburg trip.

"Let me get this straight.  You eat THAT, and I eat oatmeal and carrots?"
After our first breakfast/lunch at Pancake Pantry, we strolled the downtown Gatlinburg area.  Millie Janalee and I decided to give Russ a scare since he wasn't with us.  We took pictures on the display Sky Lift seat acting like I was taking her up the mountain.  This is something we both have talked about and it scares us to death to think about taking a child up the sky lift with no harness or strap!

"The sky lift goes HOW high?!"
Russ was not amused.  His text said, "If y'all go on that thing, you better hold on TIGHT to her.  I don't like this."  When I told him that she loved hanging over the rail by her arms, he replied "Not funny."  Poor Daddy!  Out of the loop and out of control.  Haha!  I informed him that she did not ride the sky lift and he followed up with, "Whew! #overprotectivedaddy"  Bless it!

"I'm brave.  Let's GO!"
The rest of our day was spent leisurely browsing the shops and enjoying the mountain air and music!  PawPaw and Millie Janalee enjoyed some grandfather/granddaughter time in the rocker listening to "pickin' and grinnin'" while the rest of us shopped around.  There's just not much as relaxing as a real mountain rocking chair and bluegrass music.  We all joined them after awhile and enjoyed some music ourselves.


We ate supper at The Peddler, another spot we like to frequent while in Gatlinburg.  We enjoyed steaks, salads, potatoes, and yummy desserts before heading back to the condo.  Our schedule during this vacation was much like our schedule has been on our past mountain vacations.  Relaxed.  Late mornings.  Early evenings.  Lots of lounging and family time.  Lots of eating.  Lots of memories...some we'd rather forget I'm sure.  Ha!  As is always the case with this family.  By the way, I've had people ask where we stay when we come to the Smoky Mountains.  We've stayed several different places over the years.  We've been going up there since we were little.  The last two times we stayed in Tree Tops Resort...once in a stand-alone unit and this time in a condo building...both with balconies.  Russ and I stayed in a hotel downtown when we went.  It was within walking distance to everything except the mountains.  Great for late night apple cider runs or downtown walks.  It was Hilton Garden Inn.  Several years ago, we stayed at Park Place condominiums...also near downtown.  All have been great, cozy, and affordable.


Our second day in Gatlinburg, we decided to try something new.  As many times as we have vacationed in the mountains, we have never gone to the aquarium.  We usually spend lots of time actually up in the mountains driving around, hiking, or taking pictures.  We always had the mindset that we could go to an aquarium anywhere.  But, I must say, it was delightful!  And so fun with Millie Janalee!  I hate Russ couldn't experience it with us.  It's actually a perfect rainy day activity if you want to make that note.

Lee and Kristin
The story behind the aquarium stems from Lee's obsession with fish as a child.  He had a full out aquarium and fish.  He LOVED fish.  And still does I noticed.  Maybe they should invest in an aquarium since Kristin is allergic to all other animals.  He was like a kid in a candy shop looking up close at all the fishies. 

Mama and Millie Janalee
I had full intention of strolling Millie Janalee through the aquarium with the notion that she could care less unless there were bright lights or something.  And she was content to do the same.  But, I couldn't help myself.  Soon after we started walking through the aquarium, I couldn't wait to get Millie Janalee close to the tanks and see her reaction to the fishies.  She LOVED it! 


I fully expected her to take a nap while we were there too, but she would not think of it.  There was too much to see, and it was too fun!  She talked to and waved at every tank, fish, coral, and diver.  Completely infatuated with each tank and fish.  Again, I'm sure she's soaking it all in just adding to that little noggin full of knowledge.  I wonder if she will be a fish enthusiast like her Uncie Lee.

Mama and Millie Janalee looking at the bright fish tank
She just talked and talked and waved and waved at these fish!
Trying to catch the bright colored fish
So many fish, and such a little girl!
Up close and personal
At one point in the aquarium, you are led to a moving sidewalk type thing that takes you through a tunnel in a HUGE shark tank!  There were sharks and other fish swimming beside and above us.  I'm terrified of sharks and seeing them up close like that was a bit freaky, but Millie Janalee wasn't scared at all!  Ha! PawPaw held her up close to the sharks and their mouths and pointed to them all as they passed by.

"PawPaw, are you trying to feed me to the sharks?"
"Whoa!  Look at those teeth!"
"Ummm...PawPaw.  I'm not sure about this."
Susu jubilantly finding out the schedule for dives in each big tank.  Ha!
At the end of the tunnel through the shark tank, you are led to a super fun kid zone where kids are allowed to pet sting rays and enjoy all kinds of hands-on fun!  Who says the kid zone is just for kids?!  Now that Millie Janalee is here, I have an excuse.  But, Uncie Lee and Auntie Kristin don't.  Ha!  Not that this family has ever needed an excuse for something fun.

Mama and Millie Janalee inside the fish tank!  Swimming with the fishies!
"I think I can...grab it!  Hold on, Mama, it's right there."
It was a tight squeeze for Auntie Kristin and Uncie Lee!
Fishie faces!
After we finished swimming with the fishies in our tiny little kid spaces, we kept playing around in the kid zone.  Uncie Lee told Millie Janalee all about the fish and what kind he had as a kid.  She was very into it.  Just as she always is when someone is talking to her about anything.

"Uncie Lee, which fish did you have?"
"Oooooh!  Those are pretty ones!"
Susu did what she does best.  Finds something quite interesting and goofy to do.  I hope Millie Janalee has her same zest for the goofy.  I'm thinking she already does!  Ha!

"I'm ready for my dive, Susu!"
We soon found a diver feeding the fish in one of the big tanks, so we stopped to watch her and listen to the lady talking.  Well, I didn't really listen.  I was more concerned about getting up close so Millie Janalee could wave to the diver.  And, of course, get a picture.  You know that's always on my mind.

"Hello!"
The rest of our aquarium experience was packed full of grandparent fun and lots of serious ocean creatures.  Like make me want to stay on land creatures.  I've never seen jellyfish that huge...

They're everywhere!
"Susu, will we see those at the beach?"
Or crabs this gigantic...

"So, do people eat those crab legs, PawPaw?"
Millie Janalee explored every fish tank she saw...until those little eyelids just couldn't hang anymore.  We fell asleep at the stingray exhibit.  Such a trooper!  The only thing she missed was the penguin exhibit.

"You sure you won't drop me in there?"
Shaking hands with a ginormous stingray
While I got Millie Janalee settled into a nice nap nest in her stroller, Kristin and Lee continued their exploration through the aquarium.  Lee may have been teaching Kristin all about the fish and telling her the names of all his.  Who knows!


When I got Millie Janalee all snuggled in, we continued on as well.  When we turned the corner, we found Kristin and Lee.  In the exhibit with the penguins.  Actually they were in the middle of watching two penguins making out I think.  Ha!  Which brought us to the whole discussion on how penguins mate for life.  So sweet.


It was a wonderful visit to the aquarium!  Well worth the price of admission...especially since Millie Janalee was free.  Ha!  We finished our evening with dinner at Old Mill Restaurant in Pigeon Forge.  This may be Kristin's favorite restaurant.  And, I will agree, it is delicious!  Home-cooked food with generous portions and sides served family style.  Located right by the historic old mill.  Millie Janalee put on her usual comedy show during dinner.


Her head slowly lowered over time until it was time to pull out Barney on my iPhone.  She probably could have taken a nap at any minute.  But, she would never want to miss out on anything.  Ha!


Part one of our Gatlinburg vacation was perfectly fun and relaxing!  A great beginning to a great week!
post signature

No comments: