Party Over Here...Party Over There

Wednesday, February 20, 2013


Well.  It has happened.  My young-looking hubby has turned the corner to full out adult!  We celebrated Russ's 31st birthday last weekend with both sides of our family and, of course, with our little Party of Three as well!  Since Millie Janalee and I were leaving for Gatlinburg, I asked Russ what he wanted to do for his birthday weekend.  If you remember last year, he didn't get to choose anything.  It was all a surprise!  Haha!  He decided we could travel to our hometown and celebrate his birthday with our families.  He wanted to cookout with my side of the family on Friday night, so Kristin and Lee graciously hosted a big birthday bash.

Russ and Lee
Actually, Kristin had already offered to host a cookout for his birthday.  So when Russ told me that's what he wanted to do, it was perfectly planned.  Dustin and Sheila came in town to celebrate with us, and Dustin allowed us to grill his deer meat to make burgers.  They were divine!  Dustin is a great griller, and Kristin is a great cook!  Lee is great on the Green Egg too!

She She and Millie Janalee
We spent Russ's birthday much like we spent my birthday with my side of the family...all huddled around and playing with Millie Janalee.  Haha!  Dustin and Sheila are keeping Millie Janalee for the weekend pretty soon, so they got some good snuggle and playtime in while we were in town.  Millie Janalee loves her Uncie Bucket and She She!

Uncie Bucket and Millie Janalee
It was an afternoon and night filled with visiting, laughing, and making fun of each other.  Just a normal day in the fam!  Ha!  Russ enjoyed a little down time with his in-laws after such a busy work schedule lately.  I really can't remember the last day he's had completely off since Christmas.  I'm not complaining, but I do feel bad that Millie Janalee and I get to do so many fun things without him.  And we miss him on normal days at home too.

Russ, Lee, and Dustin
So I was glad he was able to relax and have a good time full of laughter.  There was one other person who got some good relaxing in too...

Susu and Sleeping Beauty
My family did a great job making Russ's birthday a real birthday party!  The delicious Oreo ice cream cake with the big 3-1 candles were perfect.

Until the 3 broke! Haha!  Only in our family.  So, Kristin laid them nicely on top of the cake for a picture...because she knows me so well.  Ha!  So I took my "birthday cake photo opp."


We giggled under our breath as we brought the cake over to Russ when we sang the traditional "Happy Birthday" song because we lit the "1" candle for the old man.  Ha!  He doesn't even flinch anymore.  He and Lee have gotten used to the Smith family charade.

Happy Birthday to you!
Making a wish
Letting Russ cut the cake.  Hard as a rock ice cream cake!  Haha!
No birthday party is complete without birthday gifts.  No matter how old!  Millie Janalee and I gave Russ a very well thought out birthday card.  Ha!  The rest of my family certainly picked up our slack.  Russ was so excited about opening his gifts.  Like a little kid at a birthday party.

Russ and his gifts
Thank you, Dustin and Sheila!
Kristin and Lee know Russ's style!
So happy!
Mama and Daddy gave Russ the Nisolos he's been eyeing since Dustin and Daddy got some from Santa.
It was a most enjoyable evening for the birthday boy and his family!  What a great ending to his 31 years of life!  Millie Janalee has certainly given this old man and his young wife a new chapter full of much joy this year!

Our little family on Russ's 31st birthday!  Sorry about my look...I was a tired Mama.
Although that sweet family picture looks so simple and perfectly posed in a quaint little family way.  You should have seen what we were seeing.  In fact, I thought of you all and took a little picture of it myself.  You just really must see what it takes for this little Party of Three to have a family picture taken.


It's all about Millie Janalee.  This is what it takes to get that girl to smile at a camera when Mama and Daddy aren't behind it.  Take a look for yourself...

Millie Janalee's paparazzi team
Russ, me, and Millie Janalee spent the rest of the weekend with his side of the family.  Saturday morning, I woke up early to pick up a few things at Walmart for our Gatlinburg trip and grabbed some balloons for a little fun birthday effect.  By the way, that makes TWICE in one week I ventured to Walmart.  I never go to Walmart.  Like, I seriously have NO idea when the last time I had been before last week.  Am I the only one who hates going to Walmart???  I'd much rather run into Walgreens, Target, or Kroger.


We spent a leisurely afternoon with Millie Janalee and Russ's parents.  Jimmy's kids were in town, and they always love spending time with Millie Janalee.  So, we pretty much just played all day!  Russ took Sam (and I think picked up his dad after awhile) to the pawn shop.  He's been looking for a gun.  In addition to what he already has.  Boys!

When Roan got in town with all of her kitchen and Olivia's closet loaded in Jimmy's truck, Russ and I got a little busy.  We helped Jimmy with Olivia's senior pictures.  Russ and Jimmy took some beautiful pictures of Olivia and I helped with posing and hair duty.  We had a great time, laughed a lot, and froze our tails off.  But, I can't wait until Roan shares some of the sneak peeks on her blog.  They are so pretty!  Of course, they had a gorgeous subject!  When Russ and I started dating, Olivia was probably 5 years old.  I can't believe she is already a senior!  I love what Roan said on her blog today!  The days are long, but the years are short!  I'm soaking in every second with my baby girl more now than ever...if that's even possible.

Uncle Jeff, Millie Janalee, and Aunt Jenny
Saturday night, the rest of Russ's family joined us for a celebration birthday supper.  Jenny and Jeff made a b-line to Millie Janalee for a little playtime.  The rest of us snacked as Russ manned the grill grilling burgers, and Roan put on the apron to cook her veggie burgers.  I heard they were delicious!  The rest of us?  We visited, watched a movie, and enjoyed everyone's company.

Clay and Sam
Olivia and Julie
Me and Roan
After dinner, Jenny put the finishing touches on Russ's birthday cake that his mom made for him.  We sang "Happy Birthday" to the birthday boy again, and he blew out his candles.  I hope he made a good wish!

Yummy cake!
Making a wish.
The birthday boy and his cake!
After dinner, cake, and his delicious birthday gift from Jimmy's family...it was time for everyone to get their Valentine's candy from Granmomma and Pop.  Millie Janalee was particulary excited that her Daddy let her choose her own candy bag.  I'd say this little girl already has her Daddy wrapped around her little finger!

Daddy and Millie Janalee
Aunt Jenny helping Millie Janalee pick out her candy.
So proud!

Russ and I are blessed with such loving and close families!  Thank you to our families for helping make Russ's 31st birthday so special, relaxing, and fun!  You only turn 31 once after all.
post signature

1 comment:

Erin said...

So sweet. I can't believe it's his birthday again. It seems like we just read about his surprise party. Yet sooo much has happened since then.

No, you are not the only one that hates Wal-Mart. I despise it. Like won't go in there unless absolutely necessary and we don't have a Target close (about an hour away) but I would rather pay more at Walgreens or Kroger to NOT have to go in WM. The workers have the worst attitudes and I don't want to support them.