Smile Box

Monday, September 9, 2013

With the new school year came two of our nieces and nephews going off to college.  One is commuting from home, and we see him pretty often.  Our niece moved into her dorm room very far away.  Far away for me anyway!  I was such a homesick college freshman.  I would literally cry through my showers because it was the only time I wasn't around a roommate I didn't know well (and really never did) and in front of a hallway full of happy college girls.  I cried every time I left home to go back to college.  And I left home a lot, because I came home a lot!  Ha!  In fact, I even cried every time Russ and I left after a visit with my parents after we were married.  I have since stopped.  Although I'm not sure if my parents ever did. 

Now I know why!  Oh, I dread the day we send Millie Janalee off on her own!  [subject change please before I lose it over just the thought of such a future.]

Anyway, my sister-in-law and her children stayed with my niece for two weeks to get her moved in and transitioned into the college life...and the classroom life.  She was homeschooled, and we knew this would be an adjustment on more than one level.  She is doing great from what I've heard!  I'm so proud of the young lady she has become, and I can only pray I learn more and more from her parents as they do a fantastic job of raising sweet and godly children.


I knew when my sister-in-law left for home, I wanted my niece to have something fun to help her during those hard days of homesickness.  (My guess is that she's not crying in the shower like I did.  She has made many friends and is on the cross country team staying very busy.) 

I saw this cute idea for a "Smile Box" on a random blog I saw once, and I filed it away for a fun occasion.  It is basically a box full of goodies sent with a little something extra.  I painted the inside of the box flaps with just some acrylic paint I had around the apartment, and cut out fun letters for a cute surprise message.  I filled the box with college goodies: popcorn, movies, a cute Tervis, chip clips, snack mix, Kleenex, notepad, cute pens, and fun nail polish.  I topped it off with a card, and sent it UPS.


She received the package and was thrilled!  I just remember how much I LOVED going to check my mailbox and finding cards and notes from home.  Being away from home for the first time can be lonely (in that you miss home and family).  Little "smiles" sent snail mail mean a lot!  A lot more than texts and emails. 

Nothing can beat good ole snail mail anyday!  When was the last time you sent something by USPS or UPS or FedEx?

Make someone smile today!
post signature

No comments: