Relocating CAN Be Fun

Monday, May 5, 2014

So we have a big move ahead of us.  It is a temporary move, so I'm able to accept it a little better.  But it is a long way away from home.  I have never lived outside of Mississippi, so this will be an adventure for this small town gal.  In the middle of the Easter excitement and the anticipation of our nephew's birth anytime, Russ and I decided we better take advantage of the lull in family chaos for a mini vacay and apartment hunting.  I knew once the baby was here, my parents may be too busy to keep Millie Janalee while we were away.

Where are we moving?  Here's your hint...


Once we arrived, Russ and I spent the afternoon touring apartments and traveling all over the area (probably in no logical order!) looking for the best fit for our family before checking into the hotel.  We did more research once we were settled and began our search the next morning.  After a full and exhausting day looking at apartments and townhomes, we decided to have some fun.  Russ and I have never been to this area.  Well, I went when I was 18 months old.  Obviously, there are no memories of that.  Ha!  So we did what every tourist who visits St. Louis does...rode to the top of the arch.


In case you didn't already know, I'm terrified of heights (and snakes and needles).  When we bought our tickets, the clerk said, "No one is afraid of small spaces or heights are they?"  Ummm...YES I am actually!  To get to the top, you ride in a tiny little round cart that fits 5 people crammed.  The whole ride up, I refused to look out the window at the stairs or open spaces.  My whole body was stiff and I was extremely anxious.


When we got to the top, I thought I would pass out!  I walked as fast as I could past the crowd looking for an air vent and open space.  Russ was behind me trying to get my attention, but I was too busy holding my hair up and looking for AIR!  Ha! 

Of course, he went straight to the window to look out.



630 feet in the air, this was as close as I got to the window.  Did I mention when we approached the arch, I could look up and see it swaying when the wind blew!  

I will say that I was fascinated watching how the arch was built as we walked through a tribute/museum while we waited on our little cart to take us to the top.


Thankfully, we made it safely to the ground!  We spent the later part of the afternoon walking through an area mall, eating at Cheesecake Factory and discussing our final living arrangements for the upcoming year.  We made a tentative decision, and we made an appointment to see one more place the following day before leaving town.


We couldn't leave town without tasting some of St. Louis's most famous cuisine.  The Hill, the Italian district, is full of amazing restaurants.  So we decided to try a little lunch place before leaving town.  It was so good, and the atmosphere was even better.  A beautiful day taking in the sights.


We made our final stop at where we are sure will be our home before hitting the road for Mississippi.  What's life without a few adventures anyway?  Relocating has me stressed, nervous, and anxious.  But I'm thinking this relocation can be fun!


Here's to the changes ahead!
post signature

4 comments:

Joy said...

Can't wait to see where y'all have decided to live. And, there is no way I would have gone in the arch. I'm seriously so scared of small spaces, heights and snakes. So I'm proud of you for going up there.

Lili said...

So excited for your family Megan! Jordan, my husband, and Russ were in medical school together! Excited for your adventure. Almost finished. Congratulations!

Lili Ray

maureen said...

Oh, you will be closer to us! We live just outside of Kansas City on the Kansas side, just 3 1/2 hours from St. Louis. Might have to meet up at a park someday.

And St. Louis is so close to Chicago! I see a girls trip to Michigan Avenue for Millie Jannalee's first American Girl Doll in your future!! It is so fun there!

Good luck on your move.

Lee said...

I've followed your blog for awhile now but never commented (sounds creepier than I thought it would ��) But I actually live an hour and a half from St. Louis and we've gone through the St. Louis Bethany office for both of our girls (one is 2 years old and one is 3 months.) Our oldest girl was actually born in St. Louis. I'm sure it will be absolutely brutal to be away from your family, but St. Louis is a wonderful city and I hope you all enjoy your time there!