Christmas Eve with Megan's Family

Monday, January 9, 2012

One of my favorite parts of Christmas Eve is our Christmas Eve service at our hometown church.  It is always such a simple, sweet, and precious time for families to worship together and spend time remembering the first Christmas.  The birth of the One who was born to save us...you and me.

After the Christmas Eve service, my side of the family celebrates with a wonderful meal prepared by my mom.  This year we had tenderloin, crock pot mac and cheese, salad, creamed corn, rolls, dressing, tons of appetizers and sides, and desserts galore!  All topped off with hot apple cider!


Once the meal is finished and our bellies are full and hurting from laughing so hard, the "kids" start passing out gifts to their traditional spots.  This year was particularly special because my aunt and uncle both joined us.  This was the first time that I can remember us all being together on Christmas Eve since I was very young.  My grandmother was beside herself!


We also usually have bystanders that have joined us occasionally for the Smith Christmas Eve show!  Ha!  It really is something to see.  There is NO telling what will happen or how late it will last!  This is nothing new as I'm sure you know by now if you have been reading the blog for any amount of time.  Lee's mom has been one of those who joins us frequently.  We always love having her!  Once again, Russ had to work.  We missed him terribly and all his corny jokes and comments.  I'm hoping he's off next year for sure!

Kristin and Lee
Maw Maw, Aunt Gail, and Uncle Donald
Mama and Daddy
Me and Dustin
Now that all the gifts were passed out and everyone found a spot to light for the evening, we were ready for the show to begin!  Just to prepare you and give you a little more insight into the activities, I want to let you know the procedure.  While we all opened gifts in a frenzy all at once with Russ's family, my family opens quite differently.  We always have and still do open our gifts one at a time.  That's correct.  One at a time.  We show off our gifts, make jokes, laugh, "oooooh" and "aaaaahhh" before moving on to the next person.  This is the main reason our Christmas Eve may last on into Christmas Day!  Ha!  I wouldn't trade it for the world, though!

Daddy
Farley always gives gifts.  He shops quite well.  His gifts are usually something fun that we all laugh at and try on.  And, of course, everyone thanks him because we are positive he understands exactly what we are saying!

Lee
This year, Farley gave all the guys nice and warm fuzzy hats.  You see, the men of the family are taking a snowmobiling trip in February.  Farley knew they would all need something to keep their ears warm.  Now, they are prepared!  Good thinking, Farley!

Dustin
Sometimes we have to take one for the team.  Believe it or not, my aunt and uncle are die hard Ole Miss fans.  Kristin and I cringed as we bought his gifts this year!  Ha!  I think he likes them though.

Uncle Donald
I'm not sure why Farley keeps buying us all gifts.  It never fails....we give him all kinds of torturous gifts.  For example, take a look at the jingle collar and anklets his Mama gave him this year!  Does he look happy? 


Farley didn't forget the women of the family.  He found a super cute scarf and toboggan with owls on it for Aunt Kristin.  While the men are away, the girls are gonna play.  We aren't certain where we will go on our trip, but these accessories may be useful.

Kristin
Farley did this several times this year...he bought Aunt Kristin and my mom things that he knew I would love.  Do you know what he did?  He bought me the same thing so I wouldn't feel left out!  Ha!

Thank you, Farley!
Maw Maw had a few fun surprises this year.  You would have to know my Maw Maw to understand exactly how fashion conscious she is.  Let's see, she has a different purse and pair of shoes for every outfit, she wears skinny jeans, she still buys super cute clothes for me and my sister, and the ladies at church can't wait to see what all bling she has on week after week.  Lately, Maw Maw has been unable to walk around without her "walking stick."  It's not very fashionable.  She hates it.  It gets in her way, and it's ugly.  Well, my parents fixed that!

Maw Maw's crystal walking stick
She received three new walking sticks!  A black one that folds up complete with a rhinestone collar.  A crystal one.  And a pink one with a rhinestone collar.  For those of you who don't know, she has told us multiple times that "pink is [her] best color."  "Pink looks good on [her]."  I think it's safe to say that she loved them all!

Maw Maw loved her pink walking stick complete with BLING!
I'm gonna admit, my brother was one of the last ones I bought gifts for.  I just didn't know what to give him.  Well, once I got started...I was started good!  Russ and I were very excited about one particular gift.  Russ took a beautiful portrait of Dustin's lab, Brodie.  We had it printed on a canvas, and Russ edited it a bit.  It looked awesome!  I think there were a few teary eyes when he opened it. 

Dustin looking at his canvas
Brodie was fun to buy for too.  Brodie is a high energy, full force, BIG chocolate lab.  I thought this candy cane bone was just his size!  He ran around the yard with that thing all weekend!


If you have seen my Facebook video of Farley, you already know about this next gift.  Farley's Dendy and SuSu gave him some super cute "Ugg boots!"  I'm sure he was feeling a little left out since everyone has a pair.  If everyone else is doing it, by all means Farley must!  Ha!  I'll let you take a look at his face and decide for yourself - Do you think he likes them??

He looks unamused!  Ha!
Farley was really into the headgear!  We always have to have something to wear on our head for Christmas Eve!  I think he found super cute ones this year!  He even bought me one!  I love that pup!  Ha!

Smith women
Maw Maw and Dustin even got a fun game of basketball in while some of us were still opening gifts!  I'm pretty sure she made it.  She played basketball in high school, I think.  It should be no surprise to us that she made the shot.  Ha!

Dustin and Maw Maw
As I talked about in Baby J's five month post, my mom found a very special gift for Baby J!  I was completely shocked when I opened it to find the exact countdown calendar I had when I was little!  I love it, and I'm gonna show the picture again just because it's my blog and I can! 


Another favorite thing about Christmas Eve is our traditional reading.  My dad has ALWAYS read the Christmas Story and The Night Before Christmas to us before going to bed so Santa could come.  I remember us all sitting in his lap in his recliner...usually the smallest one crawling all over him.  We had to move to the couch so we would all fit, but the tradition remains!  I love it!  The older we get, the more fun it is to watch I'm sure!  Ha!  I can't wait to add an itty bitty to the group!


Merry Christmas to all and to all a GOOD NIGHT!
post signature

No comments: