Christmas Eve with Russ's Family

Sunday, January 8, 2012

So, how was your Christmas holiday?  Mine was fantastic!  After all, it's the most wonderful time of the year, remember?  Russ and I have been so blessed with our relationship.  Our families' traditions have never overlapped.  It's wonderful to not have to choose between the two or alternate like many of our friends have to do.  We are always able to spend Christmas with both families just like we always have.  I love it!

Our Christmas traditions begin with spending the day with Russ's family on Christmas Eve.  We start by celebrating Russ's mom's birthday.  We try to make it a separate celebration, so her day is not overlooked.

Beautiful as always
Jimmy and his family gave her a very special gift.  Russ's mom has a special drawing of Gigi (Russ's grandmother).  Russ's grandad drew it. It was terribly cracked and tattered.  Russ's mom still had it in a frame though.  Well, Jimmy took a picture of it with his camera and completely "healed it".  It looks just like the original!  Restored!  He had it framed, and it is ready to be hung.


While celebrating with Russ's family, we eat a light lunch of finger foods that the sister-in-laws bring.  I really didn't bring much this year.  But, Jenny and Roan always do a super job on the food.  We try to keep it simple and just enjoy each other.

Will and Elle...Olivia crocheted Will's tie.
Russ had to work until 7 Christmas Eve morning, so he spent the morning sleeping upstairs...and the entire ride to town.  While he slept, we visited with each other and ate lunch.  The children love looking at all the gifts and counting how many each one has.  Love Christmastime with children!  Jenny also had a FIRST this year!  She passed out her CHRISTMAS CARDS!  What?!  She quickly admitted that she got six cards free with their photo session.  So, she passed them out in person to family members.  We all got a good laugh out of it!  And, as I always promise her, I'm "putting it on the blog!"  Haha!  Love my sister-in-laws!


After MANY requests from the little ones, it was finally time to open gifts!  I must admit, I was almost as antsy to ask the same.  I'm definitely still a kid at heart!

Grace and Leah waiting patiently
While the children passed out gifts, and the adults tried to stuff as many into enough piles as there were people, I woke Russ up to join the fun.  You can tell from his bed head that he was exhausted!  Such a trooper!

Roan and Russ visiting
The children all eagerly waited by the gifts until Russ's dad returned from work.  The second he walked in the room, the kids cheered.  I wish I could get such a welcome!  Ha!  He was all smiles when he realized how long awaited his arrival was!

Julie
Olivia loved her gifts from Uncle Russ and Aunt Megan!
There really is not enough room for everyone to open gifts at the same time.  So the children all open gifts first.  The adults spend our time watching them squeal with delight and show off each toy.  We visit, laugh, take pictures, and clean up the aftermath.  Trash bags come out in masses.  The men stand furthest away.  It's always fun to see how much a guy can tune out.

Sam
Yes.  Those are owl ear buds for her iPod.  Leave it to me to find strange owl accessories!
Maybe the guys stand furthest back so that they can play around.  Just like Jimmy decided to do with our camera...


While all the girls are screaming and giggling over their gifts, we must be careful not to miss out on the quite boys opening their gifts off to the side. 

Clay opening his gifts
Moms start piling up each child's gifts and moving them to the other rooms to play with their new gifts.  Now, it's time for the grown ups to tear into their fun gifts!  My second favorite part!  Of course my favorite part is watching the kids!  Ha!

Roan taking Sam's pile to the next room
Will and Seth recently moved up to the "grown-up gift opening."  All the adults found a spot next to their pile of gifts and began to open.  Russ was a zombie, so he opened alone for a while.  I had to laugh when I realized it. 

We gave Seth tickets to see MSU vs Ole Miss basketball game.  I think he likes!
Every once in a while, one of the younger kids would run in with a fun toy they had opened and show us all how it works.  We always get a good laugh out of most of it!

Grace loved her "Airhedz" wig and outfit from Russ, me, and Farley!
My cute, sleepy hubby

Some of us girls have our "traditional" gift items.  For Roan and I, it's fashion.  I always give her new clothes complete with instructions on what to put with it.  I find this hilarious, because I have never considered myself fashionable.  In fact, I'm always asking my sister or texting her pictures of outfits to get instructions myself!  I'm so glad I have sister-in-laws who make me feel so good about my fashion sense!  Maybe they just act that way to make me feel good.  You can see how cute they both are!  They don't need any help!


Once again, we have to look closely to catch one of the men opening his gifts.  They tend to open quietly and quickly.

Jeff
I was giddy and overwhelmed with the thoughtfulness of our family!  Baby J had so many fun gifts!  And I got to open them all, which is even better!  If you know me at all, you know how much I love opening gifts!


There were classic toys, handmade gifts, and fun new items.  All of them were things I had not even thought about.  You know, I've only bought things like clothes!  Ha!  My experienced sister-in-laws knew exactly what would be most useful!  I loved them all!


I tried to get Russ to help, but he was busy holding his eyelids open with toothpicks.  Well, at least he could have done that to help.  I took one for the team, I guess.  Ha!


Roan has this funny feeling that there will be twins.  Heaven help me if that's true!  Ha!  So, she gave Baby J two bibs that say "I Love My Aunt."  If it IS just one baby, we'll use whichever color we need.  I'll save the other one for future babies.


Russ and I did what we end up doing every year...rushing out trying to get to the Christmas Eve service on time at our hometown church.  Since Russ had to leave to be at work that night, he took me by my parents' house to unload my bags and the rest of the Smith family gifts.  We ended up having a few minutes for me to open one of his gifts to me. 


SURPRISE!!!  I had been asking for an iPad, but Russ kept telling me I didn't need one and I wasn't getting one.  I wasn't really pouting per se. Ha!  I was just sad.  You can imagine my excitement when I opened my new iPad 2!!!  I love my hubby!
post signature

No comments: