Coke 10K

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Each year, the entire Johnson crew runs Corinth's biggest event of the year.  (I'm not sure if it's actually the biggest, but it is BIG!)  This year, the Coke 10K had to limit the registration to 1500 runners, the most participants in all 32 years history.  Race day is always a great day in our small hometown, and Russ and I enjoy going.  Sometimes Russ runs, but I always spectate.  Ha!  This year, Russ was working, so Millie Janalee and I traveled alone. 

Shocker, I know.

Our group of runners before the race
Jenny and I planned to meet at the matriarch and patriarch Johnson home.  That is Russ's parents.  They live near downtown, so it is the perfect gathering spot for everyone to walk to the race.  Jimmy and Roan's family usually has a big group of friends joining them too.  It was a bit chaotic when Millie Janalee and I arrived at 7:30, and I loved it!

Seriously, Mama?  It's freezing out here.
It was also a freezing day in  May!  The temperature was in the 40's, and I dressed Millie Janalee in the biggest winter outfit I could find. (I did not shop 9-12 month sizes for winter.)  I wrapped her in two blankets and put her hood on.  She was completely unamused.  Can you tell?

Bowlin with his mom and grandmother
We saw several friends who also donned their winter sweatshirts and coats and looked through sleepy eyes on this May day.  Jenny was in charge of Jimmy's camera.  He appointed her his official race photographer.  She was so nervous, so I told her I would help her.

Because let's face it.  I'm pretty used to taking pictures.  Ha!


Before the race, the race officials recognized and honored the local Boston runners.  These runners raced with blue and yellow ribbons, so they were easily spotted throughout the race course.  This has been such a special time of support from our hometown to Jimmy and Roan (and the other Boston runners).

Our Boston runners
Once the Boston runners were recognized, the crowd prayed together and listened as a local student sang "The Star Spangled Banner"...the race was ready to begin!  The wheelchair racers started first.  They always amaze me!  Using their arms to push those racing chairs 6.2 miles up and down hills.  Wow.


After giving the wheelchairs a good start, the shot fired for the remaining 1500 racers to begin!  Jenny and I stood against the side of a truck to capture the best pictures we could.  We had no idea where our group was, so we just kept clicking until we saw the last of the runners...actually walkers.  We knew our crew would be running full speed ahead.  The racers were literally brushing by us and against our cameras.  I'm thinking standing in the middle of 1500 runners would constitute a dangerous stampede, for sure!  After examining the pictures, I actually captured a couple of our runners.  The trick is actually finding them in the crowd...

I spy with my little eye...CLAY...wearing a red shirt with blonde hair!
Now, let's play a game of "Where's Jimmy?"  He's wearing a white and red cap.
It's also fun to see the various groups running together, and some even running for a cause.  I did catch a picture of this group of Navy chanting together as they ran in a formation.


Once our runners had passed, we walked over to the downtown coffee shop to enjoy a warm place to sit, hot chocolate, and a cheese danish.  After about 40 minutes, we knew the first of our group would finish soon.  So Jenny and I made our way to the finish line with cameras in hand.


Thankfully, we went at that time!  Because we almost missed the first Johnson to cross the finish line!  Clay finished 6.2 miles in 41 minutes!  We weren't expecting him to be the first one since Jenny and I hadn't seen them race in a while.  It was a happy surprise, and both of us only got shots of him from the back.  Maybe he will forgive us.  It wasn't long until the rest of the Johnsons came running toward the finish...

Clay
Jimmy and Julie...completely in sync
Olivia in the aqua
Roan
I guess I didn't catch Leah finishing, but Jenny did.  After close inspection, we realized that we caught all the family members.  Maybe not from the front.  But we got documentation of their run.  Ha!  And a few others.  Or...380 pictures worth.  What can I say?  We are the best race photographers around.  Did you run?  Let us know.  We probably have a picture of you!  Haha!


These firemen ran 6.2 miles in full gear!  Wow.


About an hour and a half after the start of the race, these silly girls came skipping toward the finish line.  Lynn ran back through the race route after she finished, and she found them skipping, jumping off curbs, and planning how they would finish the race.  Obviously, holding hands was the plan.  I love it!

Avery, Grace, and Mackenzie
Once we reunited with our runners and congratulated them for their fantastic finishes, these race photographers took a loop around downtown browsing the Green Market.  The Green Market is a set up of several tents with people selling their homemade items.  Anything from foods, jewelry, home decor, outside decor, children's clothing, and pottery.  I picked up a few hairbows for Millie Janalee before we strolled back to the Johnson home.

Jenny and me
Everyone was gathered for lunch when we entered the house, so we grabbed some fried chicken and fruit and enjoyed the company of friends and family.  I literally just sat Millie Janalee in the middle of the floor...and this is what happened...



As always, the Coke 10K was a great time of friends, family, and downtown fun!
post signature

No comments: