Olivia's Graduation

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I mentioned that our May is very busy.  It is busy with fun and exciting things!  Last weekend, Millie Janalee and I headed north to celebrate our niece Olivia's graduation.  Roan homeschools all five of her children, and she started homeschooling when Olivia was in first grade I think.  (It may have been kindergarten.  I'm not 100% on that.)  So, 12 years of homeschooling later...their family has the first graduate. 

And a first grader.  That makes me a little tired thinking about it, but Roan is up for the challenge.  And does so joyfully!


Homeschool graduations are always special.  I attended our oldest nephew's homeschool graduation a few years ago.  Since each child is homeschooled by their parents, the parents present their diplomas, and the children present their moms with a rose.  That's a lot of emotion for me.  After graduation, we were all invited to a reception honoring the graduates.  Each graduate had their own board filled with pictures and several of their favorite things.  It was fun to browse these boards.

Pop, Millie Janalee, and Granmomma
I mentioned that Millie Janalee came with me.  I was a bit nervous about her sitting through the entire ceremony.  But, she did beautifully!  Never made a peep.  Seriously.  Not a peep.  Aunt Jenny held her during the ceremony, and her Nemo stuffed animal kept her busy.  Towards the end, we began feeding her puffs simply because I knew she must've been starving!  I had not had a chance to feed her supper yet.  And the ceremony ended at 8:00.  I know.  I'm a terrible mother.  But, she didn't seem to be suffering.

Millie Janalee and Season
Afterwards, at the reception, Aunt Jenny and I fed her the baby food I packed and she was good to go!  She had many people waiting to meet her and play with her.  We also had a nice chat with a blog reader who recognized us.  I always love when that happens.  It's always nice to know who's following our story.

Aunt Roan and Millie Janalee
Lynn, Millie Janalee, and Julie
Once Millie Janalee was fed, Jenny and I grabbed our own plate of food from the various tables.  Each graduate had their own cake to celebrate the night.  The room was packed full of friends and family members.  There was also a concert by a group of children violinists. 

(There may have been other instruments, but there was no way I could get over there to see.)

(Either way it was enjoyable.)

Jenny, me, and Olivia
Before we left, we gave Olivia her graduation gifts.  She has always been such fun to watch open gifts.  Her excitement is over the top and genuine.  Russ and I gave her a Ronaldo Faith bracelet reminding her that no matter how far away from home she may go, she is never alone.  Millie Janalee also did some shopping and found a cute canvas for Olivia's room with a verse reminding her of the same thing.



It was a rainy, cold evening.  Jenny was so gracious to drop us off under the drive-thru and park our car.  She also ran through the rain to get our car and pick us up.  We enjoyed our ride together, and I know Millie Janalee enjoyed her time with her cousin Grace!

Grace and Millie Janalee
It's hard to believe this spunky, excited, and active little 5 year old I met when Russ and I were dating is graduating high school.  She has turned into such a genuine, compassionate, and beautiful young lady.  We are so proud! 

Congratulations, Olivia!
post signature

1 comment:

Joy said...

Time does fly when you're having fun!