Christmas Books

Thursday, December 11, 2014


We added another tradition last year that I love.  I got the idea from my sister-in-law I think.  She does the same with her children...so I'm thinking that's where I got the idea.  Anyway, I wrapped 20+ Christmas themed books and placed them in a basket.  The basket sits by the Christmas tree.  Each night before bed, Millie Janalee chooses one gift to open and read.


She takes it very seriously insisting that she sit on her special Santa stool for something so important as this.  Ha!  She strategically chooses a gift and opens it herself.  Upon opening the book, we are pretty much guaranteed to hear a gasp as she inspects her "new" book.  I basically just rewrap the same books...although I did add 4 new ones this year.



We all sit next to the Christmas tree as Russ reads the book to Millie Janalee and Smith.  The last few nights we let her open the book by the tree, and she and Russ take the book upstairs to read for her bedtime story.  Smith is usually hungry by then anyway, so we divide and conquer bedtime.



This is one tradition that will stay!  It is precious time spent with our little family.  Making memories and reading old and new stories of Christmas.  Sharing the joy of a good book and the special moments as a family.


Our book list includes board books, Golden books, books about Christ's birth, and more.  Do you have any favorite Christmas children's books?  Please let me know!  I'm always open to growing our Christmas library.  After all, Smith will need his own books to open too soon.
post signature

2 comments:

Angela said...

I have several favorite Christmas children's books:

Christmas in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (this is part of a the My First Little House series, where they take a chapter from the Little House books and condense them for children.)

The Christmas Orange by Don Gillmor

Christmas in the Manger by Nola Buck

Clifford's Christmas by Norman Bridwell

Rachel said...

I don't have kids but when I do, I want to start this tradition! I love this idea!