Counting Down to Christmas

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I grew up in a family full of traditions.  And we all feel pretty strongly about traditions still.  So you can imagine that when our family began to grow, Russ and I talked about our own little family traditions we wanted to start.  Traditions that our children will look back on fondly and smile.  Traditions that will always make them want to come home from college.  Traditions that just feel like home.  Cozy and comfortable.

Growing up, my siblings and I had this countdown calendar hanging on our bedroom door.  It was a quilted hanging calendar that a family friend had given us.  I told my mom that I wanted something like it for my own family.  She went above and beyond and found the exact one we had growing up!  Apparently all the kids from the 80's were also looking for one for their families, because she said they were quite valuable on eBay.  Ha!  She was able to find the fabric, and I quilted it myself.  Russ even helped stuff the little bear.


We hung it on a dowel rod with some cute bows and it hangs in our home by our bedrooms.  Each night, Millie Janalee helps the bear count down to Christmas.  The bear is looking for Christmas and each day he looks in a new spot.



We do this right before bed, so Russ can be a part of it too.  Smith watches on too.  Millie Janalee finds the number for the day, and I read the directions.  She follows the directions and finds his next spot.  She gets pretty dramatic with the whole thing.  You can imagine.  For example, when I say " Where's the front door?" there's really no need to look through every room in the house and say "hmmm" for the front door.  But it makes it more fun and obviously drags out her bedtime routine a little bit.  She's clever like that.


I have really loved doing this countdown with her this year.  Last year, we pretty much put the bear in her hand and stuck her hand where it goes.  This year, she is doing it all on her own!   It is so amazing watching your child grow and learn.  And she's so proud too!


Precious moments.  Traditions that she can look back on with a smile and a longing for home.  Where her heart is.
post signature

No comments: