Last week, we followed up with Millie Janalee's pediatric ophthalmologist. This was my first big outing alone with both babies. Last time it was an all day appointment, so I planned as such. We managed to get up, dressed, fed, and loaded in time for the commute to the hospital. Unfortunately, it was during rush hour traffic. And rush hour in St. Louis is no joke. We made it in time for a quick parking job...except there were no spots until we got to the fifth level of the garage. Then I had to put the double stroller (aka "the bus") together so we could all glide through the hospital uneventfully. It was also freezing cold. And I was cringing at the fact that Smith had to traipse through a children's hospital before his shots.
I have a thing about doctor's offices and hospitals with children. I can almost see the germs jumping all over them. Ha!
I checked us in only 4 minutes late just in time to feed Smith. It turns out, you don't wait as long for checkups. So here I go holding Smith's bottle with my chin, running after Millie Janalee across the waiting area where she was playing with the other children, and trying to drive "the bus" through the doorway to the exam rooms. Thankfully, there was a male doctor who pretty much took over "bus duty" for me while I wrangled my babies down the hallway into the exam room. Smith is a slow eater, so I fed him with one hand on one leg while holding Millie Janalee on the other leg so she could complete her exam before seeing the doctor. It's moments like that that make me feel like a real mom. Ha!
Once that exam was complete, the male doctor drove "the bus" back out into the waiting room until our doctor was ready to see us. We made it all the way down the hallway and parked "the bus" before Millie Janalee went racing back to the exam rooms hallway. Mama holding baby bottle with her teeth at this point is running after her...and just left the male doctor with "the bus." One of the receptionists asked Millie Janalee, "Don't you want to wait on Mom and Dad?" To which I answered, "It's just mom. And the doctor pushing our stroller." Lol!
Just minutes later, our doctor was ready to see us. She took a quick look and said Millie Janalee was doing wonderfully! No surgery. Yay! We are good to go for another nine months. Looking back at how tragic this whole thing seemed in the moment...we have been blessed. And Millie Janalee is just as cute as a bug in her little specs. Every color!
When I first told Millie Janalee's birthmother about her needing glasses, she said exactly what I had been thinking. Well, first she asked and was worried there was something she could have done differently. The answer to that is an absolute NO! From what I've read, there is no cause or reason. Then, she told me that Millie Janalee has the perfect personality to pull these glasses off. And she was exactly right! I love the spunky, joyful disposition radiating from my girl. What a blessing she is to me! What a joy!
She loves her "baby bruver" some kind of fierce. Sometimes a little too fierce. Ha! And I pray they are always close and loving toward each other. I love the bond they will share as they grow to understand their stories more and more. I love that they are mine! Well...actually they are on loan from God. And I am honored and humbled that I was chosen to care for and raise them.
Smith may feel a little differently at times. Like, he probably wonders "What in the world have I gotten myself into!?" Usually when his face is stuck between his sister and another object or she is sitting on him or she is kissing all over his head or when she puts all her dolls around him or when she leans in to hug him constricting his ability to breathe. She loves hard. But she loves well.
And Smith is watching her every move. May they continue to learn from each other and love each other all the days of their lives.
![]() |
| See how small this newborn gown looks!? He's growing! |


No comments:
Post a Comment