My Summer Reading List

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sorry about the title...it's the school teacher in me, I guess.

If you're looking for a great summer read, may I give you a couple of suggestions?

The first book on my "Summer Reading List" was The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. This was so great!! It is set in small-town North Carolina (as are most of his books) on the waterfront. It is a great story of love, life, and choices. This book spans the years of new love, marriage, and family. The question Travis Parker has to ask himself is, "How far would you go to keep love alive?" The ending is so good - unexpected!!

I know - you're thinking that it sounds like a "sappy love story." Well, it kinda is. But, Nicholas Sparks writes them the best!!! His love stories are a deeper love - not all that silly, inappropriate stuff.



The second book on my list was Dear John - also by Nicholas Sparks, of course. I just finished this book last night, and I didn't want it to end. Dear John is about a young rebel who dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army. This proved to be the best thing for him! On his first leave, he meets a sweet college girl volunteering with Habitat for Humanity who gets him to church, and helps him to become an even better man. When John returns to base, her letters keep him going. They had their lives planned out...and then, 9/11 happened. Both their lives were changed forever.


In case you're not familiar with Nicholas Sparks, he wrote the original The Notebook. I read that book a couple of years before the movie came out and cried like crazy! It is even better than the movie, as most books are.

Let me make a disclaimer for my husband. The books listed above are NOT on his "Summer Reading List," and I assure you, will never be!

However, Russ does enjoy reading when he has time! A couple of his favorite books include: Crisis by Robin Cook and On Doctoring: Stories, Poems, and Essays edited by Richard Reynolds, M.D., and John Stone, M.D.

1 comment:

Roan said...

Do you ever read Karen Kingsbury? Bring your Sparks books to Seaside....I'll bring you some Kingsbury. :)