Hometown Homecoming

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

This past Thursday, Millie Janalee and I traveled to my hometown to enjoy the Homecoming festivities.  I don't know how your hometown does Homecoming...but ours does it up big!  It's a big deal.  Of course, the schools celebrate all week...dressing up according to the daily themes.  Friends spend the night together and have their own traditions painting on other classes' cars.  Students work night and day on Homecoming floats, and the sweethearts work with their families on cars hidden in garages around downtown.  We've always said that our Homecoming parade merits a spread in Southern Living magazine.  This is what Millie Janalee and I came to see.  The parade.  We made a stop by  Maw Maw's to visit for a while before loading up the stroller and heading downtown for a pre-parade stroll admiring all the cars and floats at our own pace.


As we were strolling along, we saw Seth!  Our nephew, Seth, is a senior this year.  Hard to believe!  Anyway, he was a doorman for one of the sweethearts in the parade.  So it was obvious that Millie Janalee would stop for a photo op.  We don't miss many of those these days!


This sweetheart represented the Environmental Club.  Each club has a sweetheart representing in the parade.  This car actually won one of the four awards given for cars.  And it was much deserved!  So cute...and very detailed!  I'm all about details!  Just look at the hubcaps.


Millie Janalee and I found the rest of the family and got comfortable as the parade began.  Police sirens led the front of the parade, and Millie Janalee didn't seem that bothered.  She may have even enjoyed the loud high school marching band as they made their way past us.

Ms. Louise talking to Millie Janalee
Daddy and Dustin
Maw Maw and her friend
Millie Janalee didn't really watch the parade much.  Ha!
I don't have pictures of all the cars and floats, but here are a couple of the award winners.  There were probably 15-17 cars decorated with a theme, doormen, drivers, and sweethearts.  Each class had a float...and of course the Homecoming Queen had her own float at the very end.  You know, like Santa Claus in the Christmas parade.  Ha!

C-Club Sweetheart
Most Beautiful Car
Most Beautiful float...Junior Maid
Art Club
I can't remember the name of her award, but she did get one.
 Take note of the doormen and drivers.  Their attire goes with the theme of each car.  So fun!  Some other cute ones...

Web Warrior...the school website
Hairspray!  Drama Club
Historical Society...the back was precious.  Didn't get that picture.
The stars were football players' numbers.
So cute!  Foreign Language Club with Eiffel Tower and pastries in the floral arrangments.
Student Council
After the parade, we ate with the family at Russell's Steakhouse and then we were ready to rest.  Millie Janalee just wouldn't leave me alone until she had her own photo shoot.  Ha!  She loves the camera!  I just think she looked so cute with her smocked fall pumpkins!

I'm cute and I know it!
Hmmm...if I could just figure out how to crawl down from here...
Hey Brodie!
Mama, let's get this show on the road.  I'm getting bored!
Mmmmm....I see formula!
Oh really?  I thought that other car was prettier.
I think Millie Janalee's first Homecoming parade made quite the impression on her.  I can see her thinking about her own car one day.  Or maybe she'd rather just watch the parade.  I can't even talk about that anymore.  There is NO WAY this baby will be old enough to be a senior in high school!  Wow!  
post signature

2 comments:

Joy said...

WOW!!! That's nothing like our homecoming parades from back in the day. Love the idea of sweetheart cars for the different clubs! And of course, Millie Janalee was the cutest of all the sweethearts!

Malinda said...

Wow, you're right. Those cars and floats should be in Southern Living. The Homecoming parade in my hometown was nothing like that. Those were amazing.