We Believe...Still

Sunday, October 28, 2012


That's pretty much how we feel about last night's game against Alabama.  Oh no!  It was bad.  Actually, it was very bad.  And they are good.  Actually, they are very good. I'm still a very spirited Mississippi State fan and always will be.  We've cheered our Dawgs through much much worse games than last night.  I'm still believing in our team through the rest of the season, and I am anxiously waiting to #webelieve my way through our upcoming game against Texas A&M.  We have big games from now until the Egg Bowl.  Our team needs our support, and quite frankly I have more fun when we get geared up as a school.  So #webelieve...still.


There are few things I feel very strongly about.  I feel very strongly about traditions, family, and Mississippi State football.  Well, I also feel very strongly about who I'm voting for in November, but I wouldn't dare discuss that with you.  Ha!  And when I feel very strongly about something, I get emotionally attached.  I'm emotionally attached to traditions...from holiday traditions to ringing my cowbell.  I'm one that thinks it's silly to change Ole Miss's mascot.  I'm emotionally attached to everything family.  Obviously.  And I'm emotionally attached to Mississippi State.  And since it just so happens to be football season...I'm emotionally attached to Mississippi State football.


Enter game day.

Happy believer!
 I have never experienced a football season undefeated.  At least none that I remember.  So, I have no apologies for joining the #webelieve trend.  I am proud of our fans for their support and the change of culture at Mississippi State.  I remember when we made the trips to Starkville expecting losses.  We still rang our cowbells and tailgated with the best of them, but it wasn't near as exciting.  So I have no apologies for enjoying our 7-0 record no matter who we played...and having the hope and "belief" that we may pull it off.  Even if it was by divine intervention.  Ha!  I was and still am a believer.


After so much controversy on Facebook and Twitter last night, (I really should give both of those things up until football season is over!) I realized that our #webelieve trend had ruffled some feathers.  I was surprised to see how many other schools were obsessed with us.  I didn't know anyone ever paid much attention to Mississippi State.  But last week, they did.

Uh oh, Mama.  Did we upset some people with our #webelieve pictures?
 The Cinderella team believing in the abilities of their team.  Sometimes, when you least expect it, things happen that you never saw coming.  Take Millie Janalee for example.  She was just enjoying a little tummy time, exploring all the things her legs and arms can do, and then something exciting began to happen...

Whoa!  What's going on?
Hmmm...I wonder what will happen next.
Here we go...
Rolling...
I rolled over!
Did you see that, Mama!?
 Then, there are times when things don't go our way at all, and we face plant.  We end up stressed, drained, and frustrated with social media.  Take Millie Janalee for example...

Well poo!
The latter happened to my dear Bulldogs last night.  We metaphorically face planted.  Bad.  The final score was 38-7.  Hmmmm.  Not exactly what we hoped for.  I'm not gonna lie.  I was believing and hoping for a win of course.  I always hope for and believe in a win.  But I was prepared for the outcome to not go my way.  However, I will admit that I was not expecting the score to be that bad.  I was expecting to compete.  We have competed with Alabama before.  But, last night...it was rough.  I watched it, and I cheered to the end.  Still believing in my team to bring in a touchdown.  Finally, they did.  The outcome was still not pretty.


What surprised me more than the outcome of this ballgame was the social media attacking.  Oh. My. Word!  I never knew cheering for my team was wrong.  I never knew that anything I said was wrong.  I'm still having a hard time deciding what part of #webelieve, #hailstate, or #8and0 was so controversial.  I don't think I have ever seen so many fans from completely unrelated teams make fun of, bash, and compare us to their scores in my life.  Maybe it was all aimed at obnoxious State fans.  I guess I'm just not friends with them on Facebook or follow them on Twitter.  I don't really keep up with anyone else's scores, record, or fans but my own.  I assumed everyone else did the same.


Last night was rough...on all fronts.  And I was emotionally attached.  I'm not even gonna deny it.  So when attacks happen, I cringe.  I watched games completely neutral last night, and I cheered for my team when we played.  I'm not one who prescribes to the idea that we all need to cheer for teams just because they are from our state or in our conference.  But I do prescribe to the idea that there is no reason for bashing and running us into the ground.  Simply because we believed. 


I guess you could say it hit a nerve.  Just like it would if someone was bashing my family or my traditions.  Because Mississippi State football is among the few things I feel strongly about. 

We believe...STILL.
post signature

4 comments:

Anna said...

I think everyone should be able to be "for" their team without being "against" everyone else's. We have had to work on that some in our house. I hope to teach the children that positive comments are all that are needed.

i'm sorry you were hurt.

That Millie Janalee is too cute.

Joy said...

Oh it was ROUGH last night. Twitter was full of fans from all different teams saying all kind of hurtful things. Of course, #webelieve in our team... always have... always will!

Jenn said...

I have been a Tennessee fan since Peyton Manning was there, believe me when I saw sometimes it's hard to be, especially when my husband's family is die hard Ole Miss fans, I have heard it all and sometimes the things said were hurtful and downright annoying. By the way my cutie patootie has that same shirt, she is wearing it today in honor of Halloween week

Erin said...

Oh my, you took the words right out of my mouth. Even some of my closet non-MSU friends were posting things. I've decided NOT to look at any social media (except maybe Twitter since I follow so many sports reporters!) on game days. We will be in SV for the big game this weekend, still believing!

Thanks for sharing. You said it wayyyyyy better than I did on mine!