"Every Story Whispers His Name"

Monday, August 12, 2013

A week or so ago, I was reading a blog by one of my new favorite bloggers I found through Mississippi Women Bloggers.  Have you joined, by the way?  You most definitely should.

In Kasia's blog post, she mentions a quote from The Jesus Storybook Bible.  On the front cover of this storybook Bible, it says "Every Story Whispers His Name."  Part of the description on Amazon is..."The Jesus Storybook Bible tells the Story beneath all the stories in the Bible. At the center of the Story is a baby, the child upon whom everything will depend. Every story whispers his name. From Noah to Moses to the great King David---every story points to him."

Gosh, how that tagline grabbed my heart.  Oh, that my life and my story may be described in such a way!  Where every story I shared or every blog post I wrote whispered His name.

In the days prior to reading her post, I began working on a project to better my blog.  Working with Mississippi Women Bloggers has really motivated me to blog with purpose for myself and the readers who follow our story.  Our life story.  My journal.  One of the tasks in the series I am working through asks that you create an "elevator pitch."  There is a long detailed Wikipedia definition for this I'm sure.  But, I'll describe it the way I see it.  An elevator pitch is a brief description of your blog that you could tell someone in the few seconds you might be with them on an elevator.  [I totally assumed that's where the word elevator came from]  The challenge was to describe my blog in ONE SENTENCE.  Have you ever tried to do that?  One sentence to describe the years of transformations, writings, events, etc.  To help me along, the series suggested you ask 2-3 friends or family members to describe your blog in one sentence.  So I did.  It was so refreshing to hear how others viewed my little space of the world wide web that I asked even more people...my Facebook followers.

Here are a few responses I received...
  • "An inspirational record of a Southern girl leaning on God's promises through her journey of yearning for, receiving, and sharing His blessings."
  • "It is a heartwarming read of not only what is going on in your life, but what is in your heart; funny sometimes, tear-jerking sometimes, ALWAYS uplifting, and reminds me to always be grateful no matter what the Lord chooses for me."
  • "Spoken from a beautiful heart, Megan lovingly provides a refreshing perspective on every day life; a life that is anything but ordinary." 
  • "It's an insight into the familial, spiritual, and personal growth of a wife and mother."
  • "Tis So Sweet is a heartfelt Southern blog that shows the love of God, faith in prayer, the road traveled to adoption, and the beauty of knowing just how sweet it is to trust Him."
  • "A remarkable journey of God's neverending love."
  • "Tis So Sweet, a blog written by a sweet young mother who lives out her faith, will encourage, challenge, and entertain you as you read about her daily life - ups and downs included."
  • "An inspirational journey of faithfulness, family, and friends proving God's love and grace for us all on a daily, hourly basis."
Some had trouble coming up with just one sentence.  Ha!
  • "Your blog inspires me with every entry!  It reminds me to cherish ever second with my little girl and reminds me how good God is for creating and giving us such perfect gifts to care for and love."
  • "One of the highlights of my day! I love watching your little miracle grow up!"
See what I mean by refreshing?!  

I encourage you to do this for your own blog.  You will gain insight into why people choose your blog, why they stick around, and what they think about your writing.  I was blessed by the responses I got from these friends, family members, and even a few I didn't know personally.

As I waited on these responses, I was brainstorming my own words to describe my blog.  How I viewed my blog in snippets, phrases, words, or sentences.  After receiving the suggestions from these friends and family members, I began looking for words that appeared over and over again.  Words I felt very strongly about.  And words I wanted to aspire to.

I first came up with a tagline to describe my blog...
In the Sweet Day by Day

This is a perfect tagline for what my blog is about.  The sweetness of His promises in the daily life of this young mother.  I also love that it's a take off one of the precious old Hymns, "In the Sweet By and By."  Maybe you already realized the influence old hymns have on me since my blog title is one too!  There's nothing quite like them!

Once my tagline was nailed down, I looked through my scribbles and those descriptions from others to come up with my own elevator pitch.  The ONE (long) SENTENCE I would use to describe my little blog space...
'Tis So Sweet is a heartwarming blog written by a young Southern mother who hopes to encourage, challenge, and entertain you as she shares God's love and faithfulness through longing for, receiving, and sharing His blessings in her everyday life - a life that is anything but ordinary."
I told you it was long.  Hehe!  But, I love it.  I've been sitting on it a few days to make sure I still like how it describes my writing, inspires me, and challenges me.  My prayer is that this sentence helps keep me purposeful - even in the everyday.  Praying that this will help my life writings...my story...be a story where "every story whispers His name."

What will your story whisper?
post signature

3 comments:

Joy said...

I love what you came up with!! And what everyone said about your blog is so true!

Cori said...

I so enjoy following your blog!! As I wait to be in a position to adopt, your blog makes me look so forward to the day I have my own sweet girl.

Kasia Lindsay said...

Just now getting to read this! Beautiful! I'm so glad you found me from Mississippi Women Bloggers! I hope we all get to meet one day. This is inspiring and I can't wait to try to come up with my elevator pitch once my month of crazy is over!