Last Sunday was Promotion Sunday. It was the beginning of a new church year, and the halls of the children's department were buzzing with the excitement of new teachers and new classes. I waltzed my little church baby on toward the bed babies room, where she has been since her very first church visit at 8 weeks. The room where the ladies rock and love on my baby girl just like I would. The room where I knew her diaper would be freshly changed, her head would be sweaty from a good nap, and her heart would be full from the love given. Yes. I held my church baby on my hip and waved as I stepped up to the door full of nursery workers rocking babies big and small.
Then it happened.
An arm lifted and pointed to the room next door. The creepers.
Now, before you go rolling your eyes and such like my mom did (But she didn't actually roll her eyes. At least not where I could see them. Ha!). I do know that my little church baby has been crawling (aka creeping) for some time, and it is high time for her to be in a creepers room. However, she is still my baby. And I don't like change. (Haven't I told you that before?) I was thrilled to leave her with Mrs. Wini when I dropped her off to play with another friend who was born her month.
But there was a pit in my stomach.
And I cried.
Not at church...although I wanted to. I somehow managed to wait until the very public restaurant after church. And Mrs. Wini was there to witness it. As she shared how she watched her oldest walk over to the youth building for Sunday school for the first time, tears streamed down my face even harder.
This growing up thing is hard.
And, although you may think it's silly and roll your eyes, (Trust me. I do know there are many of you out there.) it's still not any easier for this Mama's heart.
Promotion Sunday was hard. Heaven help me for the next 18 years of my life!

1 comment:
I just found you through MSWB! I have been scrolling through several of your posts and can't wait to read more. Your daughter is absolutely adorable..but you already know that, I'm sure. :) Have a fabulous week!
Post a Comment