There are certainly days when I wonder, "Why in the world did I decide to be a 'miracle-worker' (Van Winkle's word for teacher)?" It doesn't take long to have one of these cute, funny, or sweet comments to bring me back to my passion. I love these kids, and it amazes me each year how I can love each class as much (or more) than the one before. I always have a fear of "disliking" my class. This has never been a problem for me. TRUST ME...there have been opportunities to "dislike" my classes. But, like my principal always says, "These parents are sending the best that they have." As a teacher, in my mission field, I will do the best I can for the ones I have. I am so thankful for the job God has entrusted me with. Gotta love it!
Wednesday's Words from Mrs. Johnson's Class
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
One of the joys of teaching is that you never know what your students will say. You may be steaming mad one second, and doubled over with laughter the next. Today, is one example. I have always had moments when I thought to myself, "I MUST write that down." But, I never do. So, today, when I had a moment...I decided I'd start putting them on my blog for you to enjoy!
I was teaching about rounding today. I started out by asking the question: "I'm going shopping, and I need to keep up with how much money I'm spending. I can't take a calculator. I'm buying ten things." I gave examples of how much they might cost, like...$1.99, $12.75, etc. I posed the question to the students, "What can I do to quickly find out how much money I'm spending?" Obviously, the correct answer was "round/estimate." I would have taken a number of answers. But, instead, one of my cutest little boys raised his hand. Let me set this up for you. Charles is probably not even four feet tall, and has the cutest little disposition. He is a bright student. Anyway, he raised his hand. All attention was on him! When I called on him (anticipating the right answer from my super class), he picked up his pencil and said, "Could you tell me those numbers again?" Of course, I smiled - trying so hard not to laugh. The class was giggling, and he had no clue why. I just smiled and said, "Well, it really doesn't matter how much. I just want to know HOW I can do it." I couldn't even remember the numbers myself!
As I was setting up for a lesson, and the class was transitioning to get ready for math...Jo'Neshia said something that I couldn't hear. There was no one around, so I know she wasn't talking TO anyone. So, I was getting ready to get onto her for not raising her hand to speak to me and asked, "What did you say?" She quietly replied, "I said you are pretty." She was just smiling sweetly.
There are certainly days when I wonder, "Why in the world did I decide to be a 'miracle-worker' (Van Winkle's word for teacher)?" It doesn't take long to have one of these cute, funny, or sweet comments to bring me back to my passion. I love these kids, and it amazes me each year how I can love each class as much (or more) than the one before. I always have a fear of "disliking" my class. This has never been a problem for me. TRUST ME...there have been opportunities to "dislike" my classes. But, like my principal always says, "These parents are sending the best that they have." As a teacher, in my mission field, I will do the best I can for the ones I have. I am so thankful for the job God has entrusted me with. Gotta love it!
There are certainly days when I wonder, "Why in the world did I decide to be a 'miracle-worker' (Van Winkle's word for teacher)?" It doesn't take long to have one of these cute, funny, or sweet comments to bring me back to my passion. I love these kids, and it amazes me each year how I can love each class as much (or more) than the one before. I always have a fear of "disliking" my class. This has never been a problem for me. TRUST ME...there have been opportunities to "dislike" my classes. But, like my principal always says, "These parents are sending the best that they have." As a teacher, in my mission field, I will do the best I can for the ones I have. I am so thankful for the job God has entrusted me with. Gotta love it!
5 comments:
So proud of you! Love you, Daddy
i am lol right now, your post title and the one I just posted are almost identical, and I promise I had not read your blog yet!!
i love it.. i can totally relate to what your saying, i taught for 6years myself. you gotta love um!
lynn
I completely understand those "moments" in a classroom. It reminds me of my favorite student Febian. When I asked him where his homework was for that day, he told me he could not "concall" what he had done with it. He also thought any word that started with the letter "t" was the word tentacles. (He loved Spongebob!)Keep up the good work!
hi! just stumbled onto your blog. let me say, as i kindergarten teacher i love what you had to say. i can relate - big time. i have never heard the statement ...sending the best that they have, but i will take it back to school with me tomorrow and remember that through the day. it is so right! some days i know i bore my husband with my "funny" stories of my kids, but like you said you just have to laugh. thanks so much for the great post! (by the way your class blog is great :)
nicole
I stumbled across your blog a couple weeks back and love what you have to say. I also checked out your class blog and I'd like to thank you for all the great ideas. I love your frog theme. Keep up the good posts!
Brandy
Post a Comment