In honor of this week full of first days back to school, I decided to share what's on my heart this year. When school was starting last August, I was still rocking a 3 week old lost in the bliss of snuggles and dreams. This year?
It all changed.
You see, this year I have a very active one year old, who already causes tears and heartaches when I think about her first days of school. I see pictures of kids that I babysat or remembered the day they were born all starting school...kindergarten, seventh grade, wearing backpacks and new clothes.
And I know.
And, OH how I will ache. I'm sure I'll cry. I mean, goodness. I already sit and cry about it now. Lord help me in five years!
This year, I have an additional perspective. One that will grow stronger as the years pass. This year, I can view back to school through the eyes of a mama. It changes things.
For a few hours every weekday, I will let go of my bundle of giggles and hand her well-being over to a teacher. A teacher I may or may not know.
And I will struggle. I will struggle to hold back tears. I probably won't hold them back. I'm not good at goodbyes, and well, I can't leave Millie Janalee at school without a hug goodbye. So I'll bawl. Maybe she will too. Maybe she won't. Either way, I'll be the silly looking one. I will also struggle to practice a lot of the things I talked about yesterday. I will struggle because it'll be MY daughter this time.
I will want to hold my own private orientation for the teacher to let her know a few things...
- Millie Janalee loves to be praised. Her eyes light up when you clap for her or say "Yay!' So make sure you praise her for jobs well done.
- When her lips turn into a complete upside down smile (also known as a frown), she is about to cry. Please give her a hug and ask her what's wrong.
- If she looks down and holds one hand on her head, she's sad about something. Please make sure no one hurt her feelings.
- You'll love to hear that Millie Janalee loves to read! She may cry when you finish a book. If you let her hold the book afterward and play with it, she may be okay.
- Please try to make sure she feels secure and loved. That's what I've prayed over her little life from day one. So, if you don't mind, check in on her from time to time. See that she's feeling loved.
I will want to tell her all these things complete with a printed out booklet of her schedule and her likes and dislikes. But, I won't. Or at least I'm counting on you all to tackle me to the ground if I try! Instead I will drive home (or hang out in the classroom window like a creeper) with tears rolling down my face...and counting down the minutes until she comes home.
I'll have lots of questions...
- Did you have a good day?
- Did you make new friends?
- What did you like about your teacher?
- Who did you sit by at lunch?
- Did you have friends to play with at recess?
- What was your favorite thing about today?
- Was there anything you didn't like?
- Who is your favorite new friend? Why?
- Was anyone mean to you? I'll be happy to beat them up. (Again, I joke. Kinda.)
- Did you tell Mrs. SoandSo when you needed to potty?
And I pray her teachers are kind. And don't let her run wild. And caring. And push and challenge her to do great things. And I pray they smile. And enjoy the joy that Millie Janalee brings.
Yes, it's different on this side.






4 comments:
I'm pretty sure that Russ will need to take off from work that day so you don't go nuts. Because let's be honest... the sweetest that little girl has and her little personality... her mama is going to be a basket case without her there the first day. Thankfully you have a few years to plan this first day... =)
I've been reading your blog for quite some time, and I can totally relate, I have 3 and half years before my baby goes to school and I have major anxiety over her, I too will need to be football tackled to not give her teacher a list of how to take care of my baby, I do that now with her daycare teachers and even family who spend time with her without me, it's hard on us Momma's, to let go, and right now I dont' have to, so I'm not :)
I know you were a public school teacher, but sometime in the next five years, maybe you could think about doing like Roan does...and homeschool your precious little girl.
Then when the other mothers are driving away crying because they had to leave their little ones behind, you and Millie Janalee can skip into your house and snuggle together on your couch and read away the day!
Just a thought.
Megan! This post has me in tears! Kindergarten drop off has been the hardest parenting job I've had to do in these five short years. My heart is at school without me. I tried to remember all those things from a teachers perspective, but pretty much failed. The only thing that has helped was seeing her big, precious smile when I drove up in the carpool line. She had a blast!
Post a Comment