Millie Janalee's First GAME DAY

Thursday, September 6, 2012


Rah Rah Ree!  Kick 'em in the knee!  Gooooo Dawgs!


Saturday morning, bright and early, Millie Janalee dressed in her best Bulldog clothes and loaded into the car for her first road trip to God's Country...Starkville!  It was the big 2012 Mississippi State kickoff against Jackson State.

"Auntie Sheila" feeding Millie Janalee
Things have certainly changed since last season. While everyone busily set up our tailgate with tents, chairs, tables, food, tablecloths, decorations, television, generator, fans, etc....Millie Janalee screamed for food!  Followed by a changing of the diaper.  Things look a little different these days!  Ha!

Diaper change!
Once all the important things were taken care of, Millie Janalee had a ball!  We enjoyed sharing our game day traditions with our baby girl, and she enjoyed all the new sights and sounds.  It was H-O-T!  Paw Paw thought ahead and brought two fans.  Of course, Millie Janalee was sporting her polyester cheer uniform...which had to be the hottest option.  But she was a trooper!  We laid her on the ground and just let her kick around...


God knew we needed a little one who enjoyed the elements like we do!  She was born TRUE MAROON for sure!  We are trying to raise her right!


Dustin also turned 24 on game day, so we had a little mini birthday celebration.  The wind wasn't very cooperative when my mom tried to light the candles, so Dustin had to light his own candles while we sang before blowing them out.  Ha!


He opened gifts.  Kristin and Sheila already hosted a BIG birthday weekend in Pickwick the previous weekend, so he basically opened cards.  Since Russ, Millie Janalee, and I missed the weekend, we brought our gifts for the birthday boy.  Millie Janalee was most excited about hers.  It took LOTS of hard work, tears, and patience.  Ha!  I think Dustin likes his new frame for his new home.

"Happy Birthday Uncie Bucket!"
Millie Janalee and Uncie Bucket love to fist bump!
Russ came a few hours later than the rest of us.  He worked the night before.  Millie Janalee was so excited to see him coming, because she knew once we had our family photo she could take that cheer uniform off! 

Party of Three
Sleepy girl
The rest of our afternoon looked like a typical Smith family tailgate.  The guys set up corn hole, Daddy napped, we watched a little football, we ate, we enjoyed visitors, we laughed, Kristin and I ran to catch the end of the Dawg Walk, and we geared up for kickoff!

Dustin and Lee
Sheila and Kristin
Russ watching football
Daddy napping
Poor Millie Janalee!

Did I mention it was HOT!?  We knew it would be hot, but we didn't anticipate the 200% humidity!  I have major respect for Millie Janalee!  She persevered without a single complaint!  Once she was sprawled out in her pack 'n' play, she would fuss if anyone picked her up.  She just wanted to be left alone.  Ha!  We stuck the fans on her and talked to her.  Ha!  When it was time for food, we placed a wet cloth on her head while she ate!  Ha!  Gangsta!


Yummy!
All the "baby girls" of the family.
Dustin and Sheila
We always love our visitors who stop by, grab a bite, visit, play corn hole, or wave!  I didn't catch them all on camera since I'm a little preoccupied these days.  But I did my best!  Actually, I think Kristin took the first one.

Seth and his friends stopped by for a while
Season couldn't wait to see Millie Janalee at her first game!
The closer it got to kickoff, the temperatures cooled.  Millie Janalee came prepared with a comfy Mississippi State romper.  Girls always come prepared to be cute!  We gave her all her game day necessities in the pack 'n' play, and she was in bulldog heaven!

"Gooooooooo Bulldogs!"
Thank you, "Aunt Nana," for the pack 'n' play!
I knew Millie Janalee was probably not going to go into the game this time, so I wanted to inform her of all the excitement Bully brings.  We read our book about Bully and all the tradition Mississippi State has to offer.  She was really into it.  See...

Typical teacher mom!  Reading a book on game day!
Of course, we all posed for pictures to document this monumental day!  Millie Janalee's first Bulldog experience!

Auntie Kristin, Uncie Lee, Mama, Daddy, and Millie Janalee
Susu, Paw Paw, Mama, and Millie Janalee
After everyone offered to stay at the tent during the game and watch on television, Mama won the prize.  She and Millie Janalee enjoyed the game from the tent.  Actually...you can see the stadium from our tent and hear all the cheers.  So, if you watch on television at the tent...it's just like you are there with a better view!  Ha!

"We aren't going to the game, Susu?"
Paw Paw left Millie Janalee's ticket with her just in case she decided to come to the game.  Yes, she has season tickets.  She has had season tickets since the day after Paw Paw found out about her.  She actually has 2...maybe for a date?  Russ said not for a long, long, long time.

My sweet game day baby!
After the game, we sat around enjoying more food and football on television.  Millie Janalee played a little with everyone, and Uncie Bucket began teaching her some of the many things he has to share I'm sure.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

Uncie Bucket, Sheila, and Millie Janalee
She's one cool baby!
The game?  Oh, yes.  We won!  We beat Jackson State 56-9.  We actually left the game early, and we NEVER do that!  Ever!  I think I'm still in shock.  The highlight of this game was Jackson State's halftime show!  Always a treat!

"Not real sure about this, Uncie Bucket."
This weekend, we will really see what our Bulldogs are made of when we play Auburn.  Always a big game.  Always a close game.  We shall see.  One thing is for sure...I will be there with my cowbell in hand!

Meeting "NH" after the game...just one of the many prayer warriors!!
Welcome to the 'Ber months!  Best time of the year!
post signature

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I don't see how yall stood it out in the heat!
Miss Millie looks just precious in her cheer suit!
Keep taking lots of pictures because soon you will forget just how tiny she used to be.
So happy for your little family!

Erin said...

Man, it WAS HOT. I was going to try and come find your tailgate but it was too hot to move. We were on the other side of the stadium. One day I'll stop by and visit!

Oh, and the Sonic Boom? AMAZING.