Thankful for Fun Family Gatherings

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Our little family on Millie Janalee's first Halloween
If there's anything you have learned from reading our blog, I'm sure you know by now how important family is to Russ and me.  We are so blessed to be a part of such loving, close, and FUN families.  I am very thankful to be part of a family who likes to have FUN!  I love that we will be able to raise Millie Janalee to learn to have fun, not take life too seriously, and enjoy each memory! 


Our family really made Millie Janalee's first Halloween extra special! We knew we wouldn't be trick or treating with Millie Janalee for two reasons. First, her costume wouldn't fit in a car seat.  And secondly, let's get real.  The baby is too little for candy.  Although that certainly didn't stop a few parents from bringing their bitty babies trick or treating WITH a bag for candy.  Hmmm. Actually, I'm thinking that was kinda smart.  They will enjoy that candy for weeks to come while I sit here without. 

Will, Elle, and Millie Janalee
Since we weren't trick or treating, my sister and her husband offered to host everyone for Halloween.  Their neighborhood is known for van loads of children being let out to trick or treat.  I'm guessing we had over $120 worth of candy...and very little left.  Does that tell you anything?

Uncie Sock Monkey and Auntie Peacock with Millie Janalee
Lee really got into the Halloween spirit and decided to decorate the front of their house with spider webs, black lights, strobe lights, and a little fog machine.  Russ supplied the Halloween Pandora music on his iPhone, and we were set!  By far the most exciting trick or treating spot on the street!  The whole family came over for a fun Halloween gathering.

Showing Maw Maw our purrrrfect baby girl!
I remember last Halloween so well.  I watched Facebook all night to see all the little ones in their cute costumes.  I wished so badly for my own little one to dress up.  And now it was here!  Millie Janalee, my little answered prayer, was ready to dress up for her very first Halloween!  Can this be real?  It certainly is!  I know there are parents who sigh and dread trick or treating with their rowdy bunch of kids.  And maybe one day I'll be one of those parents.  But, this year...I was ecstatic.  I was enjoying every second.  I was thankful.


Everyone took turns manning the front door and candy bowl while Mama slaved away in the kitchen cooking taco soup for this crazy crew.  Don't worry about her.  She needs no company or entertainment to have a good time.  After all, she's the one who taught us how to have fun.


Most of the time, the guys manned the front porch.  Lee stayed in his spot all night.  He had an important job that may or may not have included terrifying young children until one little Super Mario Brother faceplanted in the ditch trying to run away.  Ha!  Who knew a sock monkey could be so scary?


Daddy joined us after a while ready to join the party.  This sumo costume has no expiration date and may be a signature piece in our family.  The best part about this year's appearance was certainly his dress socks and dress shoes.  Oh my!  Did I say my mom was the one who taught us how to have fun?  Maybe it was both!  In addition to his look, I have lots of video footage of Daddy's "performances."  To every Halloween song or melody there was an appropriate sumo dance.  No audience was necessary.  He was also very much instigating the scare of young children.  Ha!  I only heard one little boy begin to cry...at which point sumo wrestler man tried to hug him to calm his nerves.  The boy was steadily standing with his bag waiting for candy.  No scary monkey or tears were gonna cost him his "treats."  Ha!


We all enjoyed seeing all the excited children with a sugar high running through the streets and laughing and screaming as they walked up to this "haunted house."  We especially liked our favorite surprise trick or treaters...

Grace and her friend
Millie Janalee was such a sweet kitty all night.  Her eyelids became heavier and heavier.  To be honest, the girl never moved a muscle once her costume was on.  She sat in my arms until she drifted off to sleep.  Sweet dreams little kitty cat...

Bless it!

She woke up a little fussy and probably totally over the whole big belly cat costume.  We stripped away all the puffiness, and gave her some air.  We had lots of helpful hands calming her and helping our sweet girl remember how much fun Halloween can be...

"She She" and Millie Janalee
Uncie Bucket has the magic touch.
Millie Janalee loves her "Aunt Nana!"
Millie Janalee is mesmerized by Maw Maw!  Maw Maw talks and talks to her, and Millie Janalee listens intently.
Yes, it was a family affair.  Come to think of it, everything we do is a family affair.  This family is always looking for a reason to celebrate and have a party!  We all love a good fun family gathering, and this was the perfect occasion!

The crazy Smith crew
The Tulls
 What about my little family?  The "Party of THREE?"  Oh, we had a ball making special memories with our purrrrrfect baby girl!  A dream come true celebrated perfectly!  We love making Halloween a fun day with costumes and candy.  Nothing more.  Just fun.  We laughed, smiled, and thanked God for such a fun day with our new family.

Millie Janalee riding the ostrich with Daddy
Mama and her growing 15 week old baby girl!
We may be crazy.  We may be dysfunctional sometimes.  We may even get on your nerves.  But we are family.  And we are fun!  And we sure love a good gathering.  Today I am so grateful for fun family gatherings!

post signature

4 comments:

Katie said...

I have more family than I know what to do with, but I wish so badly we were as close as your family is. You may think God blessed you with your little girl, but God blessed your little girl with her parents and extended family.

rachel said...

Love the cat asleep on the couch picture! Hilarious!

Marcie said...

Looks like yall had a blast!
Love her little kitty costume!

Jenn said...

You speak straight to my heart, we were told for five years I couldn't have children, and by the grace of God we have a little girl who is about to be one. Every milestone, holiday is big to me and I make sure it's big for her too, because I dreamed of this for so very long, that now that it's finally here, I want to enjoy every single moment.