My wish for Millie Janalee as she grows up is to have the same experience with her grandparents as I did with mine. Going to our grandparents' houses was always the highlight for me and my brother and sister. My grandparents always had such fun things going on. Like wheelbarrow rides, sponge rollers, bubble baths, shopping for new dresses, shelling peas, camping in the RV, making hairbows and earrings out of the most unusual things, and more.
Watching my grandparents with my child has been very special to me. I only have pictures of me with my great-grandparents. They passed away when I was very young. I don't remember how they were with me, but I will always remember how my grandparents are with Millie Janalee.
Millie Janalee is surely the highlight of any day for Maw Maw. She prayed for this baby girl as much or more than any of us. Through all her health problems and scares, she kept saying that she had to stay alive to see that great-grandbaby. Now, she's gotta hold out to keep playing with her. Ha! Millie Janalee is mesmerized by Maw Maw. They just sit and talk to each other. Maw Maw talks and talks and talks. And occasionally breaks out in song. It is such a sweet image.
Pops loves Millie Janalee too. He always talks about how pretty she is. He says, "She's a good one." We've only been to see Pops a couple of times since Millie Janalee was born, but I can tell he loves her. He reaches over to touch her hands, feet, and anything else that he can reach. I'm not sure if he knows exactly who she belongs to. Maybe he thinks she belongs to my mom, since she's always holding her when we are around. Ha! But, he loves her all the same.
I do wish my Nonnie were here to see Millie Janalee, but I know she is looking down with the biggest smile making sure Susu does all the "Nonnie" things she should. Like jacuzzi baths and sponge rollers and back scratches. I love that Nonnie's handwriting is on the bottom of Millie Janalee's bassinet listing all the babies who have used it...dating back to my mom and uncle. Such a treasured heirloom.
Millie Janalee has some pretty terrific grandparents herself. It has been such a delight to watch Russ's parents and my parents love on our daughter. And for her to be ours. It is surreal at times. Most of all, it has been so special to watch my parents become grandparents for the first time! I love seeing how much they want to hold her, love on her, and take care of her. Actually, it has almost been as if Russ's parents are becoming grandparents for the first time again too. They are so in love with this girl!
I think God gives us grandparents for such a special reason. I am thankful for my relationships with my grandparents growing up and for the influence they had on my life. I am thankful for Millie Janalee's grandparents and the immensity of their love for her!



No comments:
Post a Comment